Colocassia is high in iron i.e. 100 g gives 10.0 mg of iron (ICMR), it is also rich in calcium and low in phytates and oxalates, beta carotene, b complex vitamins and has moderate amount of fiber of which it is mostly insoluble. The dish is ideal for people who are on low fat diet since the dish is steamed with very little oil going into the vaghar and also as thin coating on the leaves. It provides good amount of proteins coming from besan. Also it provides moderate amount of fiber obtained mostly from colocassia leaves, iron from Colocasia leaves and jaggery, calcium from colocassia leaves and til.
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, add water 9approx 1 cup) and mix thoroughly till the jaggery melts and the mixture becomes smooth. Keep aside.
1. Wash the colocasia leaves and dry using a kitchen towel.
2. Place the leaves with the vein side facing you on a clean dry surface and remove the veins using a sharp knife.
3. Place a leaf with the tip facing towards you, apply little besan mixture and spread it using your fingers to make an even layer.
4. Apply little besan mixture on another leaf and place it in on the first leaf with the tip in the opposite direction.
5. Continue the procedure (step no. 3 and 4) for 3 more leaves.
6. Fold the leaf around 1” from one side.
7. Apply the besan mixture on it. Repeat the same with the other side.
8. Fold the leaf around 1” from your side.
9. Apply the besan paste on it with your fingers.
10. Roll it up tightly, while applying besan mixture with each fold. Keep aside.
11. Repeat with the remaining leaves and besan mixture to make 1 more roll and steam in a steamer for 20 to 25 minutes or till it becomes firm.
12. When cool, cut into 12 mm. (½”) thick slices. Keep aside.
13. Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
14. When the seeds crackle, add the sesame seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds, while stirring continuously.
Besan:- 4 tbsp
Colocasia leaves:- 1 1/2 medium sized
Mustard seeds:- 1/4 tsp
Seesame seeds:- 1/4 tsp
Grated jaggery:- 1 tsp
Ginger garlic paste:- 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida:- a pinch
Ghee:- 1 tsp
Energy:- 212 Kcal
- Snacks, Breakfast, Dessert , Drinks
- Pulses And Legumes
- Cereals And Grains