Makhana or fox nuts or puffed lotus seeds are one of the highly nutritious nuts, having high contents of fibre, Protein and minerals. The roasted makhana’s can be used as healthy alternative snack.
Makhana kheer recipe is a popular recipe from north india, preferred mainly during festivals. The roasted makhanas are just simmered in milk, sweetened with jiggery or sugar and garnished with nuts making it creamy, nutty and a guilt free dessert option. Jaggery also adds a perfect color and sweetness to the kheer.This recipe uses very little ghee, as compared to the traditional kheer, making it a perfect dessert to be consumed even by those with high cholesterol or diabetes. It is easy to prepare with very few ingredients.
- Heat 1 tsp of ghee in pan, add the makhana, cashews and almonds roast till makhana becomes crunchy and the cashews get golden stir often while roasting, remove and keep it aside.
- In a deep thick bottom vessel heat the milk stir in between so that that milk does not scorch from bottom.
- Let the milk come to boil then keep it boiling on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile when the milk is boiling reserve 1/3 of the makhana and add the remaining in a grinder also add cardamom pods with a pinch of saffron strands and it into a fine powder.
- Add the grinded powder of makhana and jaggery in the boiling milk and stir constant.
- Now add the reserved makhana and stir well and simmer till the makhanas get soft and milk thickens a bit.
- Lastly add the golden cashews, almonds and raisins and simmer for 2 minutes and switch of the flame.
- Serve this makhana kheer warm or chilled as a dessert or snack.
- Makhana – 20 gms
- Milk – 1 cows cup
- Cashews – 1 tsp (roast and sliced)
- Almonds – 5 tsp (roast and sliced)
- Raisins – 1 tsp
- Cardamom – 1
- Organic jaggery – 2 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
ENERGY: 328 Kcals.
CARBOHYDRATES: 39.03 gms
PROTEINS: 9.24 gms
FATS: 16.24 gms
- Keto diet
- Main course
- Desserts, drinks, soups and shakes
- Breakfast, snacks, salads and dips
- Indian cuisine
- Pulses And Legumes
- Cereals And Grains