Maharashtrian Bean Rice
Biride Bhaat is a typical Maharashtrian cuisine where the rice is made with vaal. In this recipe brown rice has been used which is a whole grain relatively low in calorie, high in fiber and gluten free and is a very good source of phosphorous thiamine, niacin, selenium, magnesium, vit B6 and excellent source of manganese.
Vaal which is also known Field Bean is good source of fibre and helps proper digestion of food and maintains blood sugar. It is good source of energy and good for the heart because of high level of magnesium. It also replenishes the iron content in the body. It is a good source of manganese, proteins, vitamins and potassium with low sodium content. The beans are fat free and hence aids weight loss
- Wash the beans and soak it in plenty of water overnight
- Next day, drain all the water and place them in a strainer, in a warm place for 24 hours or till they sprout.
- Now in lukewarm water soak the sprouted beans for an hour to remove their skins and keep them aside.
- Wash the rice and soak it for 2hrs.
- Meanwhile, in a vessel, toast dry coconut and cumin seeds lightly and grind them into a fine powder. Chop coriander leaves and chilies.
- In another vessel boil 3 cups of water.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida, turmeric powder, curry leaves and chilies.
- Add beans and saute them for 3-4 minutes and then add rice and again saute for sometime. Then add boiling water to it.
- When the half of the water is soaked in the rice, add grounded masla powder, black masala, salt, jaggery. Mix it gently so that the mixing does not break the rice grains or the beans.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and fresh coconut.
Brown Rice-1½ cup
Maharashtrian black masala-2 tsp
Field beans (vaal)-1/2 cup
Shredded dry coconut-1 tbsp
Jaggery -1 tsp
coriander leaves/cilantro-2 tsp for garnish
Cumin seeds-2 tsp
Curry leaves-6-7 nos
Salt to taste
Fresh grated coconut-2tbsp for garnish
Serving size:1 katori
- Snacks, Breakfast, Dessert , Drinks
- Pulses And Legumes
- Cereals And Grains