A traditional and healthy snack recipe made with grated bottle gourd and spices. Unlike any other gujarati snacks, it is considered to be filling and also healthy as it steam cooked and not deep fried. It is typically served as a street food snack in gujarat, but can be served as side dish or for morning breakfast too.
The combination of ingredients used in this recipe can be immense. basically, the ingredients includes like grated bottle gourd, semolina and besan. When all these ingredients combined in a correct proportion, it results in a great muthia and perhaps for the same reason it is one of the filling and appetite snack. Moreover the other best part of this snack is, it has a great shelf life.
- Grate onion and bottle gourd and keep it aside.
- In a bowl mix, besan, semolina, turmeric powder, asafoetida, baking soda, cumin seeds, fennel seeds & salt.
- Then add ginger paste, green chilies, chopped coriander leaves, lemon juice and oil.
- Then squeeze out as much possible water from bottle gourd and onion. Use your all water and add it to the bowl, mix well.
- And knead it into soft dough. Use water if needed.
- Prepare steamer. Add about an inch of water and let it come to a boil.
- Then apply some oil on steamer tray with holes in it and grease it well and keep it aside.
- Shape each portion into cylindrical roll approximately 5 inches long and 1 inch in diameter. Arrange on greased tray as shown below.
- Steam it for 10-15 minutes.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes, remove it to plate then cut into slices.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium flame add mustard seeds and sesame seeds. Let them splutter.
- Then add sliced muthia. Mix gently so they do not break and sauté till you get little brown and slightly crispy.
- Turn off the heat.
- Lauki – 50 gms (grated)
- Onion – 25 gms (grated)
- Besan (gram flour) – 2 tsp
- Sooji (rava) – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Hing (Asafoetida) – a pinch
- Ginger paste – ¼ tsp
- Baking soda – 1-2 pinch
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Fennel seeds – ¼ tsp
- Coriander leaves – 1 tsp
- Green chillies – ½ tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Oil – ½ tsp
- Salt –as per taste
- Oil – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Sesame seeds – 1 tsp
Energy: 164 kcals
Carbohydrates: 20.4 gms
Proteins: 6.48 gms
Fats: 7.04 gms
- Keto diet
- Main course
- Desserts, drinks, soups and shakes
- Breakfast, snacks, salads and dips
- Indian cuisine
- Pulses And Legumes
- Cereals And Grains