Health Tip Details
Food as medicine
WHY IS MY CHILD CONSTIPATED? WHAT SHOULD I DO?
A lot of parents have this concern that their child is constipated. Constipation in children is pretty common and not very easy to deal with. The child becomes cranky, has trouble passing stools and often complains of stomach pain.
Therefore, to soften the stools and make them easier to pass, you need to increase the amount of non- dairy fluid and fiber a child needs each day.
High fiber foods include fruits and fruit juices that contain sorbitol (prune, mango, pear), vegetables (broccoli, peas), beans, and whole-grain breads and cereals. Limit foods that can increase constipation, such as fatty foods that are low in fiber. Limit milk to 2 glasses per day.
Good sources of fiber:
- Oatmeal, whole grain breads, whole grain pastas, and other whole grains.
Start slowly if these high in fiber foods are new to your toddler and pair them with healthy fats such as coconut oil, full fat coconut milk, avocado, flax oil, nut butters, fatty fish, water and water-rich produce to avoid making the problem worse.
2. Legumes, such as lentils, black beans, kidney beans, soybeans, and chickpeas
3. Fruits such as berries, apples with the skin on(make sure you wash them properly and remove the wax coating on it), oranges and pears.
4. Vegetables such as carrots, broccoli, green peas, and collard greens
5. Nuts such as almonds, peanuts, and pecan nuts
Exercise: Make sure your toddler gets out to play for at least 30 to 60 minutes a day. Moving the body keeps the bowels moving, too.
Plenty of water: If your child is dehydrated, have your child drink plenty of water and other liquids, such as naturally sweetened fruit and vegetable juices and clear soups, to help the fiber work better.
OTHER FOOD ITEMS THAT WILL HELP:
1. Avocado: Offer cubes or slices, mash and spread on toast, put into smoothies. The oil helps to coat the digestive tract and keep things moving as a natural laxative.
2. Cononut oil: Try adding a teaspoon to smoothies or freezer pops, use it to cook vegetables.
3. Coconut butter: Spread it on toast or stir into oatmeal.
4. Chia seeds: You can check out some of the chia seeds recipes which you can include in the diet of your child. Chia seeds help add fiber and calcium in the diet.
5. Foods with probiotics like yogurt, drinkable yogurt, buttermilk
6. Slightly watered down prune juice, pear juice, or apple juice.
To calculate the daily recommended fiber plus 5 grams in age:
For example, 7 grams of fiber is recommended if your child is 2 years of age (2 plus 5 grams)
Here are some examples of foods that could get you to an example of 7 grams of fiber:
- 1 medium apple and 1 peach
- 1/2 cup kidney beans
- 1/2 cup oatmeal and 1 cup blueberries
- 1 smoothie with 1 cup blueberries, 2 tablespoons hemp seeds, and 1/2 cup spinach
I hope this blog helps you in taking care of the constipation problem in your child. Get in touch with us (WhatsApp no: 8291679633) if you want to know more about child nutrition. Take care and keep reading our blogs.
Most Popular Tips
THE WONDER FOOD: CHIA SEEDS
19 Jun 2018
EAT RIGHT, STAY FIT AND LOSE WEIGHT DURING RA..
06 May 2019
Triphala – An Ayurvedic Miracle
07 Jun 2018
Health Tip Categories
Related Health Tips
Food as medicine
Foods that beat Urinary T..
I am sure, most of you might be aware about urinary tract infections. For people who are wondering what it is, let me put it down in simple words A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection in any..
Food as medicine
PCOS – How can it be ma..
PCOS also known as polycystic ovarian syndrome has become very common amongst females in today’s world. The exact cause of PCOS is not known and most of the experts attribute it to the lifestyle..