Health Tip Details
WHY DATES ARE GOOD FOR YOU?
WHY ARE DATES GOOD FOR YOU ?
Date is a delicious fruit with a sweet taste and a fleshy mouthfeel. They have natural sugars and fiber, with high concentrations of potassium and vitamin A, iron and fluorine, among other vitamins and minerals and hence makes it very healthy fruit.
It is grown in abundance in Arab and is exported from there to most of the countries. Dates are consumed mainly as fresh or in the dried form. In the processed form, they are consumed as paste, syrup, pickles, jams, jellies, and are used in many bakery or confectionary products together with chocolate, coconut, honey, vinegar, and others.
Health benefits of eating dates regularly are innumerable:-
- It is a great energy booster. Dried dates are also a storehouse of energy. Glucose and fructose present in dried dates are a good source of energy on a tiring day.
- Antioxidants and amino acids are present in dried dates, which help the body by improving heart health, digestion, and skincare. Antioxidants and soluble and insoluble fibres helps to boost overall health.
- The consumption of dates by women before and after delivery can act as a tonic to strengthen the uterine muscles. Dates not only help in activating the delivery process but may also prevent the postdelivery bleeding due to the presence of some constricting substances.
- Dates are free from cholesterol and contain very low fat. Consuming dates regularly can help lower cholesterol.
- Dates are rich in potassium and low in sodium. This helps regulate a healthy nervous system. Researches have revealed the fact that potassium intake up to a certain extent can reduce risk of stroke. Dates also help in lowering of the LDL cholesterol.
- Dates also have fluorine that slows down the process of tooth decay.
- It helps increase one’s sexual stamina.
- Dates help in weight gain and are beneficial for those who suffer from over slimming problem.
- It also helps in improving eye sight and helps in curing night blindness as well as it is rich in vitamin A.
- Its high calcium content, boosts bone health.
- It promotes healthy bowel movement due to rich dietary fiber and can ease constipation and clear the system. These are natural laxatives with additional nutritional benefits.
- Indian women are prone to develop anaemia. Dates have high iron content, which increases the production of haemoglobin and also improves circulation and are very useful in treating anemia.
Dates can be introduced in daily diet in any form, so here it is,
- You can introduce it in the form of snacks.They are often paired with other foods, such as almonds, nut butter or soft cheese.
- Dates can be chipped and sprinkled on sweet dishes, cakes and puddings and this enhances the state of the dish too.
- Dates are also very sticky, which makes them useful as a binder in baked goods, such as cookies and bars.
- You can use dates to sweeten up sauces, such as salad dressings and marinades, or blend them into smoothies and oatmeal.
- You can also combine dates with nuts and seeds to make healthy snack bars or energy balls.
- Adding dates in any form makes the food tasty and healthy too.
- Keeping in mind the health benefits of dates, one should take utmost care while choosing the right quality of dates.
- Selection of dates is very easy and you can have good ones if they appear fleshy and evenly coloured.
- Make sure there is no artificial sugar coating.
- Do not forget to wash the dates thoroughly so that the dust is cleaned properly before consumption.
In addition to all these, storing dates is not a big deal. They are dry fruits and so you do not have to face hassles to store them. Dates are a very healthy fruit to include in your diet, but it is important to eat them in moderation.
Related Health Tips
Fruits or Fruit Juices.. ..
It’s pretty easy to gulp a glass of fruit juice, isn’t it? But have you ever thought about how many pieces of fruit it takes to make the average fruit juice? Juice is pretty easy to drink ..
Watermelon seeds - A Nutr..
“Oh my god! You ate the watermelon seed? Now, a tree will grow in your stomach!!” Did someone ever tell you this when you were a child? I have heard this quite a few times when I was a kid..