Health Tip Details
Diet and Fitness
Is ‘KETO DIET’ for me?
Many of our clients ask us: “What is keto diet? Can I do keto diet? OR Will my body adapt to keto diet? Or Will I get some serious health issues?” etc. etc.
People with the main motive to lose weight faster; many a times opt for ketogenic diet. But before following any diet we need to understand our body health and the mechanisms of the diet.
So basically all of us know that keto means low carbs! But what is the exact distribution of calories?
The craze to lose weight through keto diet has started recently. But in medicine, keto has been used for almost 100 years to treat drug-resistant epilepsy, especially in children. It may also help people with heart disease, certain brain diseases and even acne. There are lots of pros and even cons when you follow a keto diet. It is dangerous to follow a ketogenic diet if you have type 1 diabetes, kidney problems or any other serious metabolic disorder.
What is keto diet? Keto diet is a term for low-carb diet. It focuses on calories majorly through fats and protein and less from carbohydrates.
Our body tends to release glucose into the blood stream and most cells prefer to use blood sugar, which comes from carbs; as the body’s main source of energy. But in keto the main source of energy that the body releases is ketones. In absence of circulating blood sugar from food, our body starts breaking down stored fat into molecules called ketone bodies to generate energy until we start eating carbohydrates again. It takes about 7 to 8 days for the body to shift the usage of circulating glucose to breaking down fats as a source of energy when you follow a proper keto diet of about fewer than 20 – 50 grams of carbohydrates per day.
- Promotes weight loss – Ketogenic diet promotes weight loss by boosting metabolism and reducing appetite. It consists of foods that fill a person up and may reduce hunger stimulating hormones.
- May improve heart health – Eating healthy fats rather than unhealthy may reduce the levels of cholesterol. High levels of cholesterol can increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. Keto diet focuses on intake of healthy fats thus improves heart health.
- May protect brain function – studies have shown that the ketones that generate during the keto diet provide neuroprotective benefits, which means they can strengthen and protect the brain and nerve cells. Due to this a keto diet may help a person prevent or manage conditions such as alzheimer’s disease.
- Reduce seizures- the epilepsy foundation suggests that ketosis can reduce the seizures in epilepsy especially those who have not responded to other treatment methods.
- Improves PCOS symptoms- PCOS is a hormonal disorder that can lead to ovulatory dysfunction, excess male hormones, and polycystic ovaries. Diets high in carbohydrate can adverse effects in people with PCOS, such as weight gain and skin problems. Researchers have suggested that ketogenic diet improves several markers of PCOS such as weight loss, hormone balance, ratios of LH and FSH.
With all the benefits there are some side effects too of practicing keto diet. The first side effect people usually suffer is keto flu. Person with first few initial days of this diet feels sick, complains about nausea, vomiting, gastrointestinal distress, fatigue and lethargy. But this symptom goes away as the body adapts the state of ketosis.
- If you are having type 1 or type 2 diabetes please consult your doctor and be in close supervision while following keto diet as it may result to severe health condition known as ketoacidosis.
- Reduced muscle mass and metabolism.
- Increased risk of diabetes and heart diseases.
- Weight regain
I hope, the readers of this blog, now have proper knowledge about keto diet and whether you should opt for it or not. Hence, it is advised that never start any diet without consultation or supervision.
For further details and inquiry about keto diet and consultation contact us on 8291679633/9004147737. For joining our keto diet program click the link below.
Keep reading our blog to get more interesting information about healthy foods.
Most Popular Tips
Does eating banana cause cough?
31 Oct 2019
THE WONDER FOOD: CHIA SEEDS
19 Jun 2018
Watermelon seeds - A Nutrient Powerhouse
08 Apr 2019
Health Tip Categories
Related Health Tips
Diet and Fitness
Pakora and chai?? Say “..
“Aaj baarish ho rahi hai… Chai and Pakora ho jaay?” How many of you have heard or done this? I think most of you reading this blog must have done this every monsoon (this one includ..
Diet and Fitness
GOOD FOOD,GOOD MOOD! How ..
The human brain is always “ON”.It takes care of our thoughts, movements, breathing and every other sense of our body.It functions even when we are asleep. Our brain is in constant need of ..