Health Tip Details
Can diet and home remedies help in piles?
Often people with piles are in great stress about their lifestyle, physical activities etc. They are always looking for remedies or medication that may reduce their pain.
Many of them ask me, can I control my piles through diet? Can foods help in piles?
Piles are distended or swollen veins in the anus. The lower parts of your rectum can clot or bulge if left untreated and may require surgery.
Piles can be of two types - internal and external piles. In internal piles, there is bleeding with the bowel movements. In external piles, the area around the anus gets swollen and pains.
- Pressure during bowel movements
- Diarrhea or Constipation
- Extra weight, obesity
- Low fiber diet, high consumption of processed spicy foods
- People who sit or stand for long hours are at greater risk too.
There are foods that help to relieve piles.
- Legumes such as split peas, lentils, black beans, lima beans and baked beans
- Whole grains, such as barley, bran flakes, oatmeal and brown rice
- Vegetables such as artichoke, green peas, broccoli and Brussels sprouts
- Fruits such as raspberries, pears, apples and bananas.
Foods to avoid in piles:-
- Dairy products
- White flour
- Red meat
- Processed meat
- Fried foods
- Salty foods
- Spicy foods
- Caffeinated beverages
Home remedies that help in piles:-
- Drinking radish juice twice a day is a common remedy for piles. Start off with 1/4th cup and gradually increase it to half a cup, twice a day.
- Soak three to four dried figs in water, overnight. Have these twice a day along with the water in which they have been soaked.
- Boil the peel of pomegranate in some water. Strain and drink this water twice a day.
- To reduce the pain felt due to piles, drink buttermilk to which rock salt, ginger and peppercorns has been added. Have this twice a day.
- To seek relief from bleeding due to piles, powder a teaspoon of mustard seeds and mix it with half a cup of goat’s milk, adding a little sugar. Drink this early in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Powder dried mango seeds. Mix two teaspoons of this powder with a little honey and eat this twice a day.
- Mix one teaspoon of ginger and lime juice along with mint leaves and honey. Have this two to three times a day.
- To reduce pain due to piles, mix one ripe mashed banana in a cup of milk. Have this mixture three to four times a day.
- Jamblang better known as jambul fruit is effective in treating piles. This fruit is available during the summers, so make full use of their availability. Eat a handful of jambul with a little salt early in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Turnip better known as shalgam, is another useful remedy. Prepare a mixture of 50 ml each of carrot, spinach and turnip leaves juice.
- Add some juice of bittergourd or karela leaves mixed with some buttermilk. This should be taken every morning.
- Turmeric has antiseptic and healing properties. Therefore, eat a teaspoon of ground, fresh turmeric root.
- Application of coconut on the affected areas will give relief from the burning and itching.
- Prepare a mix of ground, black cumin seeds better known as shahjeera and cumin seeds. Add a teaspoon of this powder to a glass of water and drink once a day, preferably in the morning.
- Mix two tablespoons of honey to one grated raw onion. Have this twice a day.
- Boil a handful of sesame seeds or til, in 500 ml of water, till it’s reduced to one-third. Make a paste of this and add a teaspoon of butter. Eat this once a day.
Please note: For diet planning and medicines for piles you can get in touch with us on 8291679633 or 9004147737.
Most Popular Tips
Does eating banana cause cough?
31 Oct 2019
THE WONDER FOOD: CHIA SEEDS
19 Jun 2018
Watermelon seeds - A Nutrient Powerhouse
08 Apr 2019
Health Tip Categories
Related Health Tips
Magic syrup -- White Acac..
There are lots of varieties of honey available in Indian supermarket. Almost more than 300 varieties of honey are available all over the world, each with its own taste, aroma and health bene..
Why does my weight fluctu..
Many people ask me, “Why does my weight fluctuate daily”? Even after consistent lifestyle practices there are always some fluctuations in weight. First of all it’s totally normal ..